Friday, April 25, 2008

I'VE BEEN TUNED!!!


Now it is a well known fact that I Zamani Mcina am absolutely hopeless and clueless when it comes to technology. I'm not even exaggerating. I absolutely now nothing. I didn't even know what Apple was until very recently. I am still clueless about simple things like GPRS on my phone. It's Shameful, I know, but what can I say, I guess I'm just lazy or maybe its fear. You're probably wondering how a 3rd year media student can be afraid of technology. It's absolutely ridiculous but sadly it's true and i know I'm not alone (I hope). Things are getting even worse now. To my horror, when I recturned to varsity this year. The aweful thing happened to me. "What on earth?" I said in Horror as I opened Microsoft Word to type an assignment. For some only God knows reason, my much loved and trusted and most importantly, not complicated Microscoft 2003, had been replaced by something from hell called Microsoft 2007. This is teh most complicated thing I've ever come across. "Who is this person taht hates me so much and iis trying to make my life a living hell?" I thought to myself. I psent hours infront of theh computer trying to figure this thing out. i was beyond embarrest because i swear people were staring at me, but no one offered to help me. This made me realize taht no matter what I think or how I feel about it, technology is a part of my life and its here to stay, so I may as well get acustommed to it quickly and overcome my fear of technology beacuse I am getting further and further behind. So right then I decided that instead of avoiding and running away from technology and the new media, I'm actually going to teach myself about it and get involved and engage in it so tat i will not be alienated. so I've logged onto Fcaebook (and not just as a media 201 assignment must). I am proudd to say I am officially part of the online society.


So following up with my journey of "techno discovery", yesterday I GOT TUNED!! That is to say, i logged onto i-tunes. As I was googling Apple because I finally decided I was tired of being the only person I know who doesn't know what Apple is, I came across i-tunes. Being teh music lover that I am, when I see or hear anything about tunes, my curiousity or should I say the journilist within swithched onto alertness mode and I just have to know more. So I clicked onto the icon and the rest is history.


For all those who don't know (I am hoping that there are some fellow clueless people out there). i-tunes is Apple's very popoular online music store. It offers purchase links to songs, as well as ipod player and accessories. I was so surprise to learn that there are other cool downloading websites out there apart from Youtube. As I am so concerned about the ethical implicationsof downloading. I was very pleased to see that music on i-tunes is for sale not jusr free music that we can download (steal) off the internet. I even saw links to American Idols (which is one of my favourite). I voted online. And I even purchased some music. It was a new experioence for me beacuse I am so used to just bluetoothing music from friends' phones onto my phone. Get Tuned people!! it's great!!

3 comments:

Samukelisiwe Mahlaba said...

Idont know if this will make you happy or what but looks like you are not the only one who feels clueless and alienated from the lack of knowledge of the new media. At times i often feel so left out when people talk about the new media and only to find out i have no clue what the person is talking about. Sad story of my life, I am not even on facebook. I guess i should try and be like you and do a bit of research, browse the net to get more info on certain things. Who knows maybe ill end up being an edict if i uncover more interesting staff.

Kwezi Sontange said...

Hey wena, I don't know what Apple is, is it like a company? anyway its good you going out to find thing out for yourself, my friend because in this new world we're living in everyone is for themselves..The transition from the traditional life to the modern life has made us lose our cultural ties that created understanding for us; infact we're now individualists and with these new inventions we're becoming more lost in the vastness of the world. Beck (1995) world support this view... But I wish you luck with learning all this new stuff, espaecially since they just keep coming at us..P.S - Chack the Spelling of Your Work..

mandy said...

Wow your article rocked, u broke the shell, like people are so afraid to admit that they just do not know. Hey you not the only one out there who is not technology advanced, just people do a damn good job at hiding it. I am going to admit I am not the greatest when you come to this thing they call technology but I explore and teach myself. Why be behind when you can be ahead.
Enjoyed reading...
Hey do not stop learning, keep exploring. Like they say you learn something new everyday!

Mandy Chibambo